My Guide Website?
Palma de Mallorca: Medieval Jewish Quarter Audio Guide
Discover the history of Palma's Jewish community with this audio guide. Learn about the impacts of the Inquisition and explore secret synagogues, hidden Hebrew letters, and the Church of Mount Zion.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Mallorca:If youʻre booking your trip to Mallorca last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Meet famous mapmakers, Decipher street names, and peer into elegant courtyards
- Hear from producer Dani Rotstein, founder of Limud Mallorca
- Do it all in an hour or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionWhether this is your first time in Palma’s old town or you’re familiar with its maze of medieval streets, there’s plenty to discover on this walking tour. I’ve been studying the history of Mallorca’s Converso and Chueta (Xueta) communities since I arrived here in 2014 and I have so many secrets and hidden surprises to share. What do the words Converso and Chueta mean, for a start? Join me for a guided walk through this area to find out. Together we’ll explore the legacy of this Mediterranean island’s dark history. It’ll lead us through the twists and turns of narrow alleyways to all sorts of architectural gems. You’ll meet famous mapmakers, figure out how to decipher street names, and peer into Palma’s famously elegant courtyards, which are easily missed. If anyone ever told you that history is boring, they’ve never studied the history of the city’s Jewish Quarter! On this tour, you'll hear about: • Secret synagogues • The 1391 Massacre • Forced conversions • The fifteen Chueta family names • Surviving the Black Plague • The scandalous Tower of Love • Hidden Hebrew letters • The Church of Mount Zion • Crypto-Jewish traditions • Where the word “abracadabra” comes from New discoveries with clues to the island’s traumatic past are still being made today. But the Inquisition left its mark in more than just stone – and in the medieval Jewish Quarter, you’ll find out about members of Mallorquin society who were marginalized up until the middle of the 1900s because they had specific last names. Don’t miss your chance to learn about a unique chapter from both the history of Mallorca and Judaism. Juan Antonio Caldes Rodriguez wrote the script for this tour. His invaluable input and dedication enabled this wonderful tour to come to fruition. Thank you Juan!
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap App for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- The tour uses a mobile app. You will need to download the app and then use the voucher code provided to download the tour It is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It is best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point When the download is complete, you will see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point The tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next Please note that you'll need to use your own mobile device and headphones for this tour. The tour is only available in English and Spanish